Orange Guy had Jim Callis from Baseball America and Kevin Goldstein from Baseball Prospectus on the Cubs pre-pregame show today. The highlights
- Gaussman is the best player that actually has a chance of dropping to the Cubs, though the chance of him doing so is small (but nontrivial!)
- Cubs will probably draft Almora
- Callis would take Correa over Almora and Fried, if all three were available at 6
- He compared Almora to Buxton and said that Almora has a lower ceiling, but a higher floor
- Callis had lots of great things to say about McLeod (thinks he’ll be a GM someday) and Wilken, referred to them as a dream team
- It’s a lousy draft for pitching
- Baez, Jackson, Rizzo the only bats with upside in the system.
- Loves Sczczcaratafdr’s speed, but points out there’s not a lot else there.
- He does not like the Cubs pitching prospects, wouldn't say any of them have good upside.
- He spent some time tempering expectations on Dillon Maples.
- He agrees that the Cubs will probably take Almora. He’s toolsy, could be a future 20-20 CF
- He thinks Correa is the best player in the draft, probably won’t drop to 6
- He doesn’t think the three big college pitchers will drop to six, but if Zimmer is still around at 6 he thinks the Cubs will take Almora over him anyway
My memory stinks and I can't remember which of these guys said this
- Fried is the best HS pitcher in the Draft