ST. LOUIS — Ryan Dempster is still scheduled to start against the Cardinals on Friday night for the Cubs, who are considering the latest offer from the Dodgers for the right-hander.
According to MLB.com's Ken Gurnick, the Dodgers have made an offer, but they won't get into a bidding war because they also need to add offense, preferably a corner infielder, even more than they need Dempster. The Dodgers' farm system also is a little thin in the kind of prospects needed to land All-Star caliber players like Dempster, the Padres' Chase Headley or the Phillies' Shane Victorino. Cubs president of baseball operations Theo Epstein has said he's looking to improve on pitching in the organization.
That said, Dempster, 35, would be a pure rental for the Dodgers, which most likely is affecting the negotiations. Dempster is in the last year of his four-year contract, which is paying him $14 million this season. Players must be with a team for an entire season in order to qualify for Draft-pick compensation, according to the new CBA.